09 June 2004

Getting It Right...



Once again, I count upon the BBC News to serve up the hard facts:

"As tens of thousands of Americans file past the casket of Ronald Reagan, some observers are quietly - and not so quietly - beginning to question the accolades heaped on the late president since his death.

Many obituaries have highlighted his sunny charm and good humour, while others have credited him with helping to end the Cold War, restore America's confidence in itself and 'get government off people's back', as he himself would have put it.

But critics point out that there was another side to his presidency - record budget deficits, economic pressure on the middle class, human rights abuses in Central America, and the Iran-Contra scandal.

Correctives are being issued even to the claim that he was the most popular president in modern history. "

Mind you, it's not my intent to speak ill of, or to slander the dead, I merely tell the truth. I was alive and kicking during the Reagan Years and I know what my life was like during that time.
--ryan




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home