27 August 2004

Number 9 Has Left the Stadium. . .






Hamm Goes Out in Style


Women's football legend Mia Hamm went out on a high by confirming her retirement after winning Olympic gold.

Hamm was the most successful player of her generation, winning more than 200 international caps for the USA.

After helping the United States to victory over Brazil on Thursday - her second Olympic gold medal - Hamm said she had made the right decision.

"I want to have a life after soccer that includes quality of life," the 32-year-old striker insisted.

Hamm's career spanned 17 years, during which time she became a household name in the USA, inspiring thousands of women to take up the sport.

But she believes she is no longer at an age to perform at the very highest level.

"We've seen the game grow and change and intensify every single year," she said.

"I hope I see myself at the very beginning, that there are so many better things to come."

Hamm, who scored two goals in Athens but failed to get on the scoresheet in the final, admitted she did not know what she was going to do with herself in retirement.

"I'm happy to say I have no idea and that's excellent with me," she said.

"Now I if I want to go for a run I can go for a run without having to worry about the time."



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home