18 September 2004

A Message from Leonard



Leonard Peltier #89637-132
USP-Leavenworth
PO Box 1000
Leavenworth, KS  66048-1000

Sept. 12, 2004

 

Sisters, brothers, friends & supporters,

The concern you've shown me & to get together on my birthday touches my heart more than you could ever know.  I know many of you probably were not born or were small children when this struggle began.  It makes it even more impressive to me that you have gathered.

There are things I would like to say, but even more, it would be so
wonderful to just shake your hands & see your smile.  Many times people expect me to say something profound or enlightening, but I am just an ordinary man caught up in an unordinary battle, doing the best I can.

All too often people get involved in something expecting it to be over
quickly like a TV series, but the struggle against the powers that would enslave can be a lifetime endeavor.
 
There are books on top of books telling of what should be.  I'm
referring to religious material that I've come across lately.  There are those who pit one against the other in the name of the creator, but these are just inspirations of men.  If we look around, we can see the things that the creator has given us.  I am not a religious person, but a spiritual person.  I religiously put on my shoes every day.  (Smile; just in case you thought, I was trying to preach to you.)

We see the abuse the world powers heap upon the common people & our Mother Earth.  We must ever be vigilant of the deceivers who exploit the earth & us for they are in charge of the media.  When you read something or hear something weigh it against the right or wrong of contributing to life or death as the creator has given us.

Many times, people called us revolutionaries.  I like that, although it
often seems used in a negative sense, by the deceivers.  Revolution refers to something traveling in a circle.  All the Creators work seems to be in a circle -- the Earth, the Moon, the Seasons, or a man's life.

As Native people of this land, we started in freedom & were receptive to others who came here for the same.  This portion of our Mother Earth wasclean & nature was in balance.  I wish to see things revolve back to a situation like that again.  If, in my life, I am a part of that process...

If my imprisonment in any way has brought a view to the public of how we should stand together, how we need to protect our freedoms & regain what we have lost... then I feel honored.  There is no reason why technology can't ultimately be used to protect our Mother Earth.

Let us be revolutionaries in such a way that we enhance the circle of
life. Let us be revolutionaries that our children, generation after generation, shall enjoy freedom & a healthy clean Mother Earth.  Let our lives be based in the circle not some straight line that has a dead end.

There are speakers & doers.  If you can speak, then speak.  If you can
carry out the work, do so.  If you can do both, so much the better.

Again, I want to say I am deeply honored to be among you in spirit even though I am not there physically.  The years roll by faster than you would realize.  Life isn't all that long so be good to one another, be true to yourself, seek harmony with the Creator & know that I appreciate you.

I'm somewhat at a loss for words so I'll close for now.

Stay strong.

Thank you so very much for your time.

 

Mitakuye Oyasin.

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse, a famous Native doer...

Your friend always,

 

Leonard Peltier

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home