31 July 2005

Catholics Reach Out To Non-Christians



In this day and age, this is most refreshing news to read! Hopefully, this trend will spread like wild flowers after the Spring rain...

Mitakuye Oyasin
--ryan


Catholic hospital adds meditation room for non-Christians

By JAMES MACPHERSON
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

BISMARCK, N.D. -- Sherman Iron Shield used to sneak his son behind some elevators at St. Alexius Medical Center to burn sacred herbs, hoping to chase away evil spirits without setting off fire alarms and sprinklers.

The practice, known as smudging, along with modern medicine, helped his son, George, recover from a gunshot wound to the head nearly a dozen years ago, he said.

"My son is still alive," Iron Shield said.

On Thursday, the hospital dedicated a $350,000 solarium and meditation room that may be used for such things as burning sage, cedar or sweetgrass, or for singing or drumming.

Sister Renee Zastoupil, director of pastoral programs for St. Alexius, said the meditation room is the first of its kind.

"We know that it just is," she said.

The meditation room, 12 feet by 20 feet, is intended to serve people of non-Christian faiths, or those "for whom the main chapel is not suitable," Zastoupil said.

John Eagle Shield, a member of the Standing Rock Sioux tribe, helped push to get the meditation room at the hospital so American Indians could practice their sacred traditions.

"We have had a lot of tribal people come here in the past who have said they were the victims of misunderstanding," Eagle Shield said. "A lot of people were reluctant to come here."

Eagle Shield said the meditation room was several years in the making, and was a result of "sensitivity sessions" held with the hospital.

"It's a special place," Eagle Shield said. He and Iron Shield burned sacred herbs to dedicate the room.

The room features a window on the northeast side so Muslims can pray toward Mecca.

Syed Hassan, a physician at St. Alexius, said he and the dozen or so other Muslim doctors at the hospital would use the room for daily prayer.

Hassan said the window was "maybe not an exact straight shot" toward Mecca, "but it's good enough."

"We are all children of God," Hassan told the crowd of about 200 people at the dedication ceremony on Thursday. "We are more similar than otherwise."

The hospital has published rules for use of the room. The use of peyote and other drugs is prohibited, as is the "practice of any religion or act which is diametrically opposed to the Roman Catholic Church." The hospital lists "Satanism, Wicca and Voodoo" as examples.

Nancy Willis, director of marketing for St. Alexius, said the number of American Indian admissions at the hospital increased 79 percent between 1998 and 2002.

Willis said 8 percent of the hospital's 72,000 admissions in 2002 were Indians. She said 24 percent of the trauma patients admitted to the hospital were Indians, and three-fourths of those were from the Standing Rock reservation, which straddles the border between North Dakota and South Dakota.

Eagle Shield said the increase in Indian patients at the Roman Catholic hospital was due to lack of funding at reservation clinics and hospitals.

"There are a lot of special services that they can't provide," Eagle Shield said.

The meditation room has an exhaust system to suck out smoke from seashell bowls of burning sage, cedar and sweetgrass, and it is soundproof to hush singing and drumming.

Eagle Shield said "traditional healers" also would use the room to work with patients.

"The traditional healing will compliment Western healing, so we can get the best of both worlds," he said.








Send comments to newmedia@seattlepi.com
©1996-2005 Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Terms of Service/Privacy Policy



11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are looking to save money while making money, this is the place to be. Learn about March Madness Picks and other related topics and save time while having fun! Even though this post from Catholics Reach Out To Non-Christians is not exactly related to everyones concerns, ryan has done a great job making a user friendly place to post relevant information.

7:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ryan, I was searching the web for waterski video and came across Catholics Reach Out To Non-Christians (this post). It wasn't exactly what i was looking for but nonetheless, it is quite interesting.

I also have a cool site about waterski video, and you can check it out here: waterski video.

Oh, almost forgot. I found a cool site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam. Perhaps you or your other visitors may be interested. Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area.

FREE Sony DVD Handycam

Im going to bookmark this blog and hope to see more great posts like this one.

1:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ryan. Can I find any information on http://www.livechathelp.com here? My friend said to check out Catholics Reach Out To Non-Christians for information on hospital collection accounts but this does not seem like the most relevant of blogs. I like cruzing through your site but maybe search engines might have more information. Need to come back later though...great blogs!

5:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you've got me thinking ryan. I really enjoyed your post about "Catholics Reach Out To Non-Christians , I found your blog while searching for citizenship and immigration in canada news. I'll definitely pop around more often, keep us posted if you happen to dig up any more citizenship and immigration in canada stuff.

7:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely don't have all the answers ryan, but I know that as long as people keep sharing ideas like this, the truth will eventually make a difference somewhere and hopefully make the world a better place to live in. I've been looking for new immigration rule for canada info and news - yeah I know I should probably get a life, but there's just something about new immigration rule for canada that gets me thinking of better times.

Your post about Catholics Reach Out To Non-Christians was a good read compared to a lot of the other stuff that's out there! Keep up the good work, I will definitely swing by again soon.

8:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day ryan. Can I get any information about hospital bills on Catholics Reach Out To Non-Christians? Hopefully before the day is gone I can get somemore details about http://www.livechathelp.com. My friend told me I should look here but it does not seem to be a perfect match for what I need to know. I'm new to blogging but enjoy it. Take care and wish me luck.

1:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you've got me thinking ryan. I really enjoyed your post about "Catholics Reach Out To Non-Christians , I found your blog while searching for citizenship and immigration in canada news. I'll definitely pop around more often, keep us posted if you happen to dig up any more citizenship and immigration in canada stuff.

3:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely don't have all the answers ryan, but I know that as long as people keep sharing ideas like this, the truth will eventually reveal itself and hopefully make the world a better place to live in. I've been looking for new immigration rule for canada info and news - yeah I know I should probably get a life, but there's just something about new immigration rule for canada that gets me thinking of better times.

Your post about Catholics Reach Out To Non-Christians was a good read compared to a lot of the other stuff that's out there! Keep up the good work, I will definitely swing by again soon.

10:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! You've got a real knack for writing ryan, keep on rockin! I will definitely be checking in here again soon.

Your post about Catholics Reach Out To Non-Christians sure got my attention - I'll spread the word about it to my friends. Sure you won't mind a few more eyeballs on your work from the four corners of the earth? :-) Thanks for a great read!

3:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ryan, I'm looking for someone who could give me more info on canada immigration work visa and I came accross your post about Catholics Reach Out To Non-Christians. Although it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it definitely gave me a new perspective. Right now anything that looks like canada immigration work visa would be of interest to me since I'm thinking of starting a new life in Canada and want to be as informed as possible about my options.

If you know of any other blogs or websites that I could check out to get some more info on canada immigration work visa, I'd be very grateful. I really enjoyed your blog - thanks for the great read.

5:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! You've got a real knack for writing ryan, keep on rockin! I will definitely be checking in here again soon.

Your post about Catholics Reach Out To Non-Christians sure got my attention - I'll spread the word about it to my friends. Sure you won't mind a few more eyeballs on your work from the four corners of the earth? :-) Thanks for a great read!

4:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home