20 August 2004

UK's Hoy Flys to Gold & Sets New Record



Hoy Wins Cycling Gold





Chris Hoy won Great Britain's second gold medal in Athens by clocking a new Olympic record to win the men's 1km cycling time trial.

The Scot powered round the track in a time of one minute 0.711 seconds, the fastest time ever at sea level.

Going last, Hoy managed to overhaul Arnaud Tournant's time of 1:00.896, pushing the Frenchman down to silver.

Germany's Stefan Nimke finished in third, while Hoy's team-mate Craig MacLean finished seventh.





CHRIS HOY FACTFILE
1976 : Born 23 March, Edinburgh
1999 : World and European team sprint silver
2000 : World team sprint silver, Olympic team sprint silver
2001 : World team sprint bronze
2002 : Commonwealth 1km gold, team sprint bronze, world 1km and team sprint gold
2003 : world team sprint bronze
2004 : world 1km gold, team sprint bronze, Olympic 1km gold


It's the second successive gold for Great Britain in the event after Jason Queally won the title in Sydney four years ago.

"I don't believe it," said the 28-year-old. "When I crossed the line it didn't sink in for a few laps.

"I knew I was in the best form of my life, particularly in the last few weeks.

"I really didn't expect in a 100 years to go that fast."

The Athens velodrome produced some of the fastest times ever seen in track cycling.

Australia's Shane Kelly, Nimke and Tournant had all broken Queally's Olympic record from the 2000 Games.

And the pressure was on Hoy to produce the performance of a lifetime - and he duly obliged over four laps.



What can you say? An absolutely fantastic ride by Hoy!
From Laurence Stewart


"I didn't see Tournant's time but I was aware of Nimke and Kelly's time," said Hoy.

"I just tried to keep my focus, concentrate and not worry about anyone else's ride.

"The crowd was amazing, I could hear them behind me and they helped to push me all the way. It's what I have worked so hard for."


Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/olympics_2004/cycling/3584262.stm

Published: 2004/08/20 16:08:50 GMT

© BBC MMIV




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home